The Surveyors of Choice in London for Party Wall Matters

When building work is taking place on or near to a Boundary shared between two properties, the Party Wall Act governs that both parties must agree for the work to take place. At Seven One Associates in London, we specialise in Party Wall Matters, offering a professional and personal service for residential and commercial owners and occupants affected by Party Wall Matters. Our team of Party Wall Surveyors are vastly experienced in the sector and will be happy to answer any questions you have, so please do not hesitate to contact us.

Covering All Party Wall Matters

Seven One Associates provide an all-inclusive service, covering all Party Wall Matters, from reviewing your construction plans and structural calculations and serving Notices that you intend to carry out works to preparing a schedule of conditions and serving Party Wall Awards. Moreover, if you have received a Party Wall Notice, feel free to contact us. Our Party Wall Surveyors will provide you with a free consultation and can assist you further in responding and creating a Party Wall Award.

Recognise How the Act Applies to You

We understand that many people are unfamiliar with the Party Wall Act and will not fully understand how it applies to them. Depending on whether you are a building owner (carrying out the works) or an Adjoining Owner (neighbour affected by the works), you will be affected in different ways, which are discussed below.

Types of work covered under the Party Wall Act:

  • Excavations for Rear extensions where there are neighbouring properties within 3 meters.
  • Excavation for Basement works.
  • Underpinning foundations.
  • Building near the Boundary Line.
  • Working on the Party Wall ie. Loft conversion or Boundary Walls.

Building Owner

If you are carrying out works that will be covered under the Act, you will need to follow the correct procedures. If you’re unsure about your work being ‘notifiable’ under the act, feel free to contact our helpful team.

CONTACT our party wall surveyors in london now, for free advice on the Party Wall Act.

The Party Wall Process

Step 1 – Serving Notices

  • You must formally serve Notices to them to inform them under the act which clauses affect them in respect to your works in the proper and correct manner for them to be valid under the Party Wall Act.
  • There are three Notices which cover works to the Party Wall, Excavation within 3 to 6 meters of your neighbour’s wall, and building on/near the Boundary Line between the two properties. If you’re unsure which apply, get in touch with us, and we will offer our service in sending out notifications on your behalf.
  • How much Notice do I need to give? Depending on the work involved, you will need to notify your neighbour with 4 to 8 weeks’ notice prior to works commencing on the ‘notifiable’ elements covered under the act. If you’re unsure what is notifiable for your project, please contact us.

Step 2 – What Happens after Giving Notices?

  • Once you have given notice, your neighbour has 14 days to reply. Your neighbour may:
  • Agree to your works, at which point you are clear to proceed. However, it is also recommended that you get a schedule of conditions drawn up by a professional Surveyor, as this protects both parties if there is damage as a result of the work.
  • No response or formal consent provided, therefore an award is required to be drawn up. A Party Wall Surveyor can be appointed as the ‘Agreed Surveyor’ for both sides, or each side can choose their own Surveyor. Regardless, Party Wall Surveyors are appointed under statute and therefore will be impartial and unbiased. Costs are usually paid by the building owner carrying out the works.

Step 3 – Surveyor’s Duties

  • The Surveyor/s will carry out a schedule of conditions, which documents the condition of the Adjoining property prior to works commencing. The schedule of conditions forms part of the Party Wall Award.
  • The Surveyor/s review the construction plans and ensure satisfactory information is available to ensure constructional details and due diligence has been taken to protect all property owners.
  • The Award is served to all owners.

Adjoining Owner

Your neighbour should be serving Party Wall Notices when they intend to carry out works. If you haven’t received any Notices, please do get in touch with us to assist you further. The Notice/s will detail what works are being carried that will affect you and is covered under the Party Wall Act.

Do I Need a Party Wall Surveyor?

You should always appoint a Party Wall Surveyor, regardless of whether you get on with your neighbour or not. Party Wall Surveyors will detail the current condition of your property before the works begin, and should there be any damage after the works begin, the surveyors will be able to judge the extent of those damages. However, most importantly, when there is a dispute once works commence, the Party Wall Surveyor is the independent body that can make judgements to such disputes.

Who Pays the Surveyor’s Fees?

The surveyor’s costs are paid by the person carrying out the works.

Responding to the Notice

Get in touch with the team at Seven One Associates, and we will assist you further by providing advice on how to respond to the Notice. You are within your rights to request that an Award is drawn up to protect your own property as well as a schedule of conditions (condition report of your property).